Outdoor Concerts & Markets

Home Home Student Hub Lifestyle Social Outdoor Concerts & Markets

Outdoor Concerts & Markets

• Varsity_Living

Concerts in the Cape
    De-Waal-Park-Concerts
    Author: Pia Taylor
    Nothing says summer quite like an outdoor concert – and this Sunday sees the start of a new season of Concerts in the Park, the hugely popular free community concerts at Dje Waal Park in Oranjezicht.

The concerts will be held at the park once a month on selected Sunday afternoons, and features a variety of local artists and performers. Entry is free (thanks to the sponsors) and open to all.

Line-Up:
    • 19 February @ 3pm – De Waal Park
    Headline Artist: Jimmy Nevis
    Support Artist: The Rockets

• 5 March @ 3pm – De Waal Park
    Headline Artist: Hotwater
    Support Artist: Mark Haze

• 19 March @ 3pm – De Waal Park
    Headline Artist: Freshlyground
    Support Artist: The Rudimentals
    The Galileo Open Air Cinema at Kirstenbosch Gardens
    A weekly dose of movies shown under the stars in the beautiful setting of the botanical gardens. It was a fantastic concept, and soon became very popular – with tickets becoming a little hard to get hold of…

And now the Galileo Open Air Cinema is back for the summer season – and from the first week of November will not only be showing weekly movies at Kirstenbosch (Wednesdays), but now also at the V&A Waterfront (Thursdays) AND the Hillcrest Quarry in Durbanville (Tuesdays).

Between the three venues, the lineup is pretty amazing, so you’ll definitely get to see something you like. As before, tickets for each movie go on sale three weeks before the event, with four levels of pricing (bringing chairs isn’t allowed, so you can hire them with your ticket) from R70 to R95. Additionally, this year organisers have introduced an early-bird season pass for movie-buffs – pay R1,525 upfront for guaranteed entry to all 25 movies at your preferred location.

Go there hungry – the food choices on offer before the movie last year were fantastic, and I’m sure they will be keeping that tradition this year.

The Full Movie Lineup at all Three Venues at this site http://thegalileo.co.za/.

The Rondebosch Potters’ Market

This is just around the corner, coming to Rondebosch Park next Saturday (23 November 2013). It’s one of the most highly anticipated markets of the year, perhaps because it only happens twice a year, and the November version is seen to be the bigger, better-stocked version.

For those who haven’t yet been, the Potters’ Market is about all things ceramic, created by both professional and amateur potters from around the Western Cape. There’s every variation you can think of, from cute wall tiles to quirky sculptures and teapots, with something for every budget, and it’s a fun and colourful way to spend a morning.

If you’re looking for a great place to do some early Christmas shopping and score some great bargains on gifts, this market should definitely be on your radar, and you’ll want to get there as early as possible.

Rondebosch Potters Market – Event Details

When: 23 November 2013 – 8am-3pm.
    Where: Rondebosch Park, corner of Sandown and Camp Ground Rds.
    Cost: Entry is free.

For more details call Iris Stuck on 021 715 5531 or visit the Rondebosch Potters’ Market Facebook page.

Made in the Cape Goods Market

Made in the Cape at Cavendish Square is one of my personal favourites on the market calendar. Not because of the ambiance and surroundings, which aren’t my ideal (generally prefer the great outdoors or something closer to it), but because of the lovely quality of the goods on display. The stallholders have been chosen with such care and an eye for quality and often quirkiness – and every time I’ve been (which is fairly often), I’ve come away with something exciting to hide away in my gift box (bring on Christmas – I’m covered!).

Here’s a bit more about the market and its ethos:

Made in the Cape is an artisan goods event held once a month at Cavendish Square, Claremont. We celebrate the creativity of the Cape with a showcase of innovative, original and thought-provoking hand-crafted goods. Everything sold here is crafted, produced and packaged in the Western Cape – no more buying goods from China, it’s all completely local! There is a myriad textiles, jewellery, ceramics, woodwork and much more on display.
    And this coming weekend, the market will be in particularly fine fettle, as it will be celebrating its first birthday – always a good sign for a fledgling market on the Cape Town scene.

Fashion in the Village Market
    The ‘Fashion in the Village Market’ happens at the Bluebird Garage in Muizenberg.

Bluebird-garage-fashion-marketCreated by the organisers of the popular weekly Bluebird Garage Food & Goods Market (Friday evenings 4pm-10pm), this new designer and fashion market will be held once a month (first Saturday of the month) and will feature a selection of vintage goods, handmade clothing, shoes and jewellery.

Although the focus is on fashion, fear not – there should also be plenty of food and drink on hand to keep you from going hungry!

Details are sketchy at this stage, but it certainly sounds promising and the venue is cosy and inviting – so I’m certainly likely to be heading down to Muizenberg this Saturday (4 May 2013) to check it out.

Bluebird ‘Fashion in the Village’ Market – Event Details

Blue Bird Garage Market 39 Albertyn Road, Muizenberg (next to False Bay Train Station)
    Dates & Times:
    Launch Saturday 4 May 2013. Thereafter, every first Saturday of the month. 11am-4pm
    Contact details:
    Dylan Speer –bluebirdgarage@gmail.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.